In 2021, the National Catholic Council for Hispanic Ministry celebrated its 30th anniversary of promoting Hispanic ministry through advocacy, education, networking, and leadership.
To read NCCHM 25th Anniversary Book Memorias históricas written by Carmen F. Aguinaco, former president of NCCHM (2007-2014), access the pdf link below:
NCCHM achieves its mission by accomplishing and striving toward religious and educational goals. Among our efforts and service:
- NCCHM annual meeting, which convenes over 70 organizations each year to provide a national network, education, and forum of dialogue on Hispanic ministry issues, challenges, and achievements.
- Convenes and celebrates National Congresses of Latino and Catholic leaders called Raíces y Alas (Roots and Wings). The first national congress was held in 1992 and has become closely tied to NCCHM’s identity. The congress gathers hundreds of religious leaders from all nationalities and backgrounds: bishops, Hispanic ministry leaders, professional and civic leaders from the U.S. and Latin America. The Raíces y Alas National Congress has been held in 1992, 1996, 2000, 2010, and 2014.
- Raíces y Alas 2022, Prophetic Voices; Ser puentes para una nueva época will be celebrated in Washington, DC on April 26-30, 2022 at the Doubletree by Hilton.
- Hispanic Leadership Development Initiative developed with a major grant from the Pew Charitable Trusts and other organizations. The project helped strengthen Catholic and other faith-based organizations that provide vital social services to Hispanic Communities. The goals of the project were to offer established providers the resources and information needed to fulfill their own mission and to mentor emerging ministries.
- Providing support and close collaboration with La Red – National Catholic Network de Pastoral Juvenil and ministry leaders.
- Stewardship Development Program designed to educate and provide training on the discipline and systematic process of fundraising. Through a donation from the Lilly Endowment, this program provided training to the Hispanic community in the discipline of fundraising in Hispanic/Religious context. Participants were taught fund raising principles and techniques involved in a comprehensive development program.
- Symposiums NCCHM organizes symposiums that respond in an efficient manner to national events considered being of extreme importance to the Hispanic community, such as immigration, church and society.
- Study on the Evangelization of Young Hispanic Professionals.
- Research on the needs for Catholic lay ministry formation among Hispanics.
- Publish an informative newsletter, PUENTES is distributed online to national Hispanic ministry leaders. This is a critical instrument for providing a national focus on Hispanic/Latino developments, news, and events. The newsletter is distributed to Catholic and Hispanic ministry leaders.
- Online presence and social media.
- Creating and publishing a Vocational Culture Manual targeted at Hispanics/Latinos; to be published in 2017.
Participation in the National Encuentros on Hispanic Ministry convened by the USCCB.